The former chief retired after serving the Department for over 24 years, the last 10 years as Fire Chief; currently the role is filled on an interim basis by a soon to be retiring Captain of 37 years of service. This is a “working Fire Chief” position.
Oskaloosa is the county seat and is located in southeast Iowa. It is sixty minutes from Des Moines, the state capitol, and ninety minutes from Iowa City, home of the University of Iowa. The city is a diverse, micropolitan community offering big-city amenities. It is the home of William Penn University, a private liberal arts university, and, multiple national and international industrial exporters and family owned businesses. www.oskaloosaiowa.org
The department has eight full-time staff and 20-25 paid on call firefighters to provide fire services (no EMT) as well as nuisance enforcement. Fire services are provided to Oskaloosa, three neighboring cities, and eight townships within Mahaska County.
- Associates of Arts degree in Fire Science, Emergency Medical, or related disciplines with a Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- Five years supervisory or command experience with certified training and extensive work experience in fire suppression, investigations, inspections, and prevention, hazardous materials response, and rescue operation. Graduate of Executive Fire Officer program from National Fire Academy preferred; and experience in combination full-time and volunteer or paid on call department preferred; or any equivalent education and experience as determined by the city.
Salary range and benefits
- The Fire Chief is a FLSA exempt position
- $65,000 - $82,500, based on qualifications and experience
- Paid Vacation, Holiday Leave, Sick Leave
- Health, Disability, Live, Insurance, Flexible Benefits Account
- Municipal Fire and Police Retirement System of Iowa (MFPRSI – 411)
- Candidates must have a valid Class D Chauffeur license 90 day after appointment; Firefighter I and II, Fire Officer I; HazMat Ops and Technician, Fire Inspector I; Fire Instructor I; NIMS 300, 400 within two years after appointment; and Fire Investigator I within one year of appointment. The successful candidate must pass a pre-appointment physical examination including a drug screen.
- Residency required within 10 miles; established within 90 days after appointment.
The Fire Chief reports to and is recommended for appointment by the City Manager. The appointment is approved by the City Council.
The position is open until filled. Please send your resume and cover letter with current salary to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first review of resumes will occur on July 9, 2020 with interviews, community tours and a public presentation scheduled on August 6 and 7, 2020. For additional information about this opportunity, please contact: Mike Schrock, City Manager, 220 South Market Street, Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577; email email@example.com; phone 641-673-9431 Ext 0.