Parks & Recreation
Edmundson Park, located in the southwest quadrant of Oskaloosa at the corner of 11th Avenue (Beacon Road) and Edmundson Drive, is 60 acres of beautifully manicured landscape and is Oskaloosa's largest city park. Edmundson offers a scenic 10-foot wide concrete recreation trail, a 1.5-acre pond for fishing, an 18-hole disc golf course, three (3) ball diamonds, an outdoor swimming pool, numerous picnic tables, and seven (7) park shelters of various sizes. The park is also home to the Oskaloosa Dog Park offering areas for both small and large dogs. In addition, a beautiful 18-hole golf course, Edmundson Golf Course, is also located within the park. Edmundson Park was built between 1936 and 1938 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to the native stone and timber landscape design from the Depression Era.
Built by volunteers in 1994, the wooden playground was a popular spot for residents of Oskaloosa. Also, a part of Edmundson Park was the iconic "Rocket Slide". A tall metal slide shaped like a rocket is believed to be installed in between the 1960s and 1970s. After nearly 30 years, the playground and rocket slide had begun to deteriorate and safety issues began to arise. So, in 2021, the City of Oskaloosa along with many donations and support from the community began the Edmundson Playground Project, which would allow for the installation of a new playground that would allow for greater accessibility to younger and disabled children. The community also raised money to save the beloved rocket slide, which would later be repaired. In April of 2023, the rocket slide was temporarily removed for sandblasting and repainting. In October of 2023, the City of Oskaloosa opened the new Edmundson Playground to the public. The new playground features inclusive equipment, including handicap-accessible swings, a tilt table, and a merry-go-round. Other equipment includes educational and interactive equipment such as drums, a xylophone, bells, a climbing wall, and factual signs, as well as your typical slides and swings.
VanderWilt Park is located at the corner of Santa Clara Street and Orchard Avenue in the northwest quadrant of Oskaloosa. The park offers two (2) little league baseball fields. Drinking fountains are on during the summer season, and restroom facilities are available.
The original "City Park" is located at the corner of High Avenue East and South Market Street in the heart of Oskaloosa and is home to our historic Bandstand. Bring your lawn chairs, and blankets, or make use of any of the several benches and enjoy the Oskaloosa City Band as they perform at 8:00 PM every Thursday, June through August, weather permitting. Check the City calendar for events traditionally held in the Square such as Art on the Square in June, Sweet Corn Serenade in August, and the annual lighted Christmas parade in December. The park comprises the public square established by the original plat of Oskaloosa in 1844 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Keating Jaycee Park
Keating Jaycee Park is located at the intersection of South I Street and 4th Avenue West in the southwest quadrant of Oskaloosa. This park offers a playground for young children and a small grassy play area. Picnic tables are available, bring lunch and enjoy the quiet neighborhood! Keating is one of the parks started by the local Jaycees. an organization made up of young professionals and referred to as junior chamber of commerce members.
Hewitt Jaycee Park
Also in the northwest quadrant of Oskaloosa, Hewitt Jaycee Park is located on C Avenue West between K Street and J Street, with parking located on C Avenue West. The park offers a playground for children, a swing set, and a basketball court. Enjoy the open grass areas and the quiet neighborhood.