The city operates under a city council/manager form of government as outlined in the city’s charter. The city council/manager form of government is widely regarded as the best structure for leading a community while supporting successful, professional management. An elected City Council appoints a city manager, who serves as chief executive officer of the organization. Amal Eltahir is Oskaloosa’s city manager.
The city manager has many duties, including:
- Carrying out City Council goals and policy decisions
- Overseeing day-to-day operations of the city
- Delivery of public services in an efficient manner
- Preparing and managing the city budget
- Informing and advising the City Council of any and all city matters
- Serving as the city’s representative in various arenas