Trash, Recycling, & Yard Waste
Trash collection and disposal
Within the city of Oskaloosa, curbside collection of trash and recyclable materials is provided by multiple private companies licensed and approved by the city. For customer service or to set up an account, please contact one of the following service providers:
Licensed trash and recycling haulers in Oskaloosa
LDI (Local Disposal Inc.)
206 W. Cherry
PO Box 63
New Sharon, IA 50207
|Waste Management (business services)|
201 SE 18th St
Des Moines, IA 50317
Residents may dispose of trash, bulky items, construction and demolition debris, asbestos, and contaminated soil directly at the Mahaska County landfill at published rates. Tires, appliances, electronics, paper, cardboard, and plastic/metal/glass containers are also accepted at the site for recycling. The landfill is located just south of Oskaloosa on Highway 63. All loads must be covered and secured. Payment is due at the time of drop-off. Please contact the landfill office with any questions regarding hours, payment, acceptable items, and general inquiries or visit/follow their Facebook page at the link below.
Mahaska County Solid Waste Management Commission
Mahaska County Landfill
2979 US Highway 63
Oskaloosa, IA 52577
Recycling and proper disposal services for many household items is managed and provided locally by the Mahaska County Solid Waste Management Commission and private companies.
- Licensed haulers must provide Oskaloosa residents with containers for separation and curbside collection of household recyclable materials such as cardboard, paper, and metal and plastic containers.
- Cardboard, mixed paper, plastic/metal/tin containers, glass containers, and aluminum cans may be dropped off for recycling at the Mahaska County landfill located at 2979 Highway 63. Free to all Mahaska county/city residents.
- Plastic shopping bags may be placed in collection bins at the Mahaska County landfill, Southern Iowa Fairgrounds, and local grocery stores.
- Batteries (small) may be dropped off at any Mahaska Communication Group (MCG) office and at the Mahaska County landfill for recycling.
- Computers and electronics may be dropped off for recycling at the following sites:
- Mahaska County landfill. TVs and monitors are accepted for a small fee. Most other electronics including cell phones, computers, printers, copiers, and audio/video equipment are accepted at no cost. Visitors should park on the scale, inform the attendant of their items, and proceed to the collection bins.
- Goodwill of Central Iowa locations including Ottumwa, Indianola, and Des Moines metro area stores.
- An annual community e-cycling event is held in late April at Mahaska Communication Group (MCG) in Oskaloosa.
Hazardous household waste items
- Appliances and tires may be dropped off for recycling at the Mahaska County landfill for a small fee. Most local haulers will also allow you to schedule a curbside pickup for a service fee.
- Metals including steel, aluminum, iron, copper, lead, and brass are accepted at M. Shrago & Son’s scrap recycling. Vehicles, parts, automotive and industrial batteries, and electric motors are also accepted.
- Motor oil may be dropped off at O’Reilly Auto Parts and Walmart Auto Center at no charge. Some auto service centers will also accept used oil.
- Paints, stains, varnishes, solvents, chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers, cleaners, gasoline, oil, antifreeze, mercury thermometers/thermostats, sharps/needles, light bulbs and other hazardous or toxic materials may be dropped off at the Metro Waste Authority’s Regional Collection Center in Bondurant, IA. Batteries and electronics are also accepted. Some items will include a small fee.
- Water-based latex paint and coatings may be disposed of with your household trash when dried and solidified.
Yard waste disposal
Residents are encouraged to dispose of leaves, plants, shrubs, grass clippings, tree branches, and other organic material by mulching, composting, or recycling on-site. Open burning of yard waste (except recreational fires) is not allowed within city limits.
Oskaloosa residents may utilize the city's yard waste drop-off site at 2088 Suffolk Road (also known as 1500 3rd Ave W). The fenced/gated entrance is located at the bottom of the hill near the 3-way intersection and recreation trail. Please follow all posted rules, remove all bags, and do not dump any material outside or over the gate while the site is closed. Violators will be prosecuted.
|Yard waste drop-off site hours||Drop-off site rules|
7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday - Friday
7:00 am to 1:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday
Closed on city-observed holidays
City of Oskaloosa residents only. (Beacon, University Park, unincorporated county, or other area residents should contact their local municipality or hauler for disposal options.)
Brush, tree limbs, and leaves only.
NO tree trunks or stumps
NO grass clippings
NO concrete, rock, or rubble
NO building materials
NO bags, garbage or trash of any kind
NO dumping outside the gate or over the fence
Other material and items not accepted at the yard waste site may be acceptable for drop-off at the Mahaska County Landfill located just south of town at 2979 Highway 63. Please contact the landfill with questions at 641-673-9266.