History of the Oskaloosa Fire Department
The oldest record of the Oskaloosa Fire Department dates back to March 10, 1871. A group of citizens of Oskaloosa met and agreed to form what they called a Hook and Ladder Company. The group agreed to organize under the guidelines of the Oskaloosa Fire Department and the City Council of the City of Oskaloosa.
Fire Station and Apparatus
The present fire department building was originally erected in 1909, and was a two-story structure. Two years later, in 1911, the present City Hall was erected. At that time the third floor of the fire department building was added to the structure. The equipment in the Fire Department at that time consisted of horse-drawn hose wagons. During the early years, the department also operated a horse-drawn ambulance service for the City of Oskaloosa.
Fire Station in 1912
Current Department Staff and Volunteer Fire Firefighters
Today the Fire Department employs eight full time firefighters including the Chief and is assisted by approximately 20 Reserve members and a complement of equipment.
Fire Station in 2012